Saturday, March 5, 2011

VINTAGE PARKS

Little Fannie Price of Mansfield Park could well be a little girl that delights in play about the waterfront of a town once known as Tuleberg. The Jane Austen classic of MANSFIELD PARK herein offers the view from a ten year old: "Of all my relations, My Aunt Norris has a shrill voice, however she is the one responsible for negotiating my stay at Mansfield Park. Her sister, my beloved Miss Maria Ward of Huntingdon, became Lady Bertram of Mansfield Park. Sir Thomas Bertram affords my fortunate aunt ~ with all the comforts and consequences of a most handsome estate. Mansfied Park is surrounded by beautiful gardens and the Bertrams have the income to maintain these vast acres very well while keeping the enormous barns filled with gallant stallions. Aunt Norris married Rev Norris who had not the luck of possessing such a fortune. My aunt Frances married a sailor and became Mrs Price and without sufficient income, gave birth to me, Fannie Price. Such is my luck, my fortune, to reside at Mansfield Park with cousins Juila Bertram aged 12, Maria aged 13, Edmund aged 16 and his brother aged 17. At first the grandeur of the house scared me. It did not comfort as it was too large to ever console me with memories of play on the floor with my brother William. The rooms were entirely too massive to feel warmth. They were decorated with furnishings too elite to be touched without fear of injury. Within my first week my cousin Edmund found me near the attic stairs, weeping. His gentle kindness was shared with exquisite manner and it was he that persuaded me to pass through the shrubbery and delight with him. Cousin Edmund, six years my senior inquired about my siblings during our first walk about the garden. Brother William was age 11 and Edmund urged me to write him a letter to make me feel better ~ and it did! Any Human Heart is refreshed when it has the occasion to rest in a city park. A family values time in parks for reunions and celebrations of love at weddings, birthdays or just basking in a good read. Children love playing in the fountain at Webers Point in Stockton. With the annual VINTAGE VALUE event soon coming ~ one can feel the electricity of anticipation building! Let us all renew ourselves and the fine City of Stockton with voluntary acts of interest in croquet with a view of the Delta on the waterfront~ Enjoy the inter active spring of water, and fill your soul with the sound of children at play or simply stroll the promenade and enjoy the panoramic river view.

1 comment:

  1. Jackie.Garcia@ci.stockton.ca.us
    The person to contact to reserve
    Captain Weber's Point
    A park in downtown Stockton

    ReplyDelete