Tuesday, July 20, 2010

TOMMY DORSEY

Back in 1932, when Tommy was a new husband to his beloved wife Nettie, they lived humbly in a little apartment on Chicago 's south side. One hot August afternoon Tommy had to go to St. Louis where he was to be the featured soloist at a large revival meeting. He didn't want to go. Nettie was in the last month of pregnancy with their first child. But a lot of people were expecting him so he kissed Nettie good-bye, clattered downstairs and in their Model A he chugged out of Chicago on Route 66. Just outside Chicago he discovered that in his anxiety about leaving Nettie, he had forgotten his music case. So he wheeled around and headed back home. He found Nettie sleeping peacefully and hesitated by her bed. Tommy felt that something was strongly telling him to stay. But eager to get on his way, and not wanting to disturb Nettie, he shrugged off the feeling and quietly slipped out of the house. The next night, in the steaming St. Louis heat, the crowd called on Tommy to sing again and again. When he finally sat down, a messenger boy ran up with a Western Union telegram. Tommy ripped open the envelope. Pasted on the yellow sheet were the words: YOUR WIFE JUST DIED. People were happily singing and clapping around him, but he could hardly keep from crying out. He rushed to a phone and called home. All he could hear on the other end was 'Nettie is dead. Nettie is dead.' When he returned home he learned that Nettie had given birth to a boy. His emotions swung between grief and joy. Yet that same night, the baby died. Tommy buried Nettie and their little boy together, in the same casket. (Resting in PEACE side by side Nettie and Tommy) After the funeral Tommy fell apart. For days he withdrew from all who gathered to comfort him. Tommy felt that God had done him an injustice. He did not want to serve God anymore or write gospel songs. He just wanted to go back to the world of jazz and forget everything. Hunched over in grief, alone in a dark Chicago apartment Tommy thought back to the afternoon he went to St. Louis. He remembered the inner nudge to stay with Nettie. Was that something God? Tommy grieved and cried out to God his sorrow for not paying more attention to Him that day. In the midst of his brokeness and sorrow, Tommy vowed to listen more closely to God. Everyone offered their best, but no kind acts could ease his deep sorrow. A good friend piced Tommy up the following Saturday and took him to a music school named Maloney's Poro College. It was quiet; the late evening sun crept through the curtained windows. Tommy sat down at the piano and his hands began to browse over the keys. Tommy remembers "Something happened to me then. I felt at peace. I felt as though I could reach out and touch God. I found myself playing a melody, once into my head they just seemed to fall into place. The Lord gave me these words and melody, He also healed my spirit. I learned that when we are in our deepest grief, when we feel farthest from God, this is when He is closest, and when we are most open to His restoring power. And so I go on living for God willingly and joyfully, until that day comes when He will take me and gently lead me home."
The song 'PRECIOUS LORD' by Tommy Dorsey
'Precious Lord, take my hand,
lead me on, let me stand,
I am tired, I am weak,
I am worn, through the storm,
through the night, lead me on to the light,
take my hand, precious Lord, lead me home.'

No comments:

Post a Comment